L1 Intracompany Transferee Visa
L-1A Visas enable U.S. employers to transfer an executive or professional employee from one of its affiliated foreign offices to one of its offices in the United States. This classification also enables a foreign company, which does not yet have an affiliated U.S. office to send an executive or manager to the United States with the purpose of establishing one. Qualifying for an L-1 Visa holds specific requirements that need to be met before obtaining the Visa.
To qualify for L-1 classification in this category, the Employer must:
- Have a qualifying relationship with a foreign company (parent company, branch, subsidiary, or affiliate, collectively referred to as qualifying organizations); and
- Currently, be, or will be, doing businessas an employer in the United States and at least one other country directly or through a qualifying organization for the duration of the beneficiary’s stay in the United States as an L-1. While the business must be viable, functional and in operation, there is no requirement that it be engaged in international trade. Doing business means the regular, systematic, and continuous provision of goods and/or services by a qualifying organization and does not include the mere presence of an agent or office of the qualifying organization in the United States and abroad.
For foreign employers seeking to send an employee to the United States as an executive or manager to establish a new office, the employer must also show that:
- The employer has secured sufficient physical premises to house the new office;
- The employee has been employed as an executive or manager for one continuous year in the three years preceding the filing of the petition; and
- The intended U.S. office will support an executive or managerial position within one year of the approval of the petition.
To qualify, the named Employee must also:
- Generally, have been working for a qualifying organization abroad for one continuous year within the three years immediately preceding his or her admission to the United States; and
- Be seeking to enter the United States to provide service in an executive or managerial capacityfor a branch of the same employer or one of its qualifying organizations. Executive capacity generally refers to the employee’s ability to make decisions of wide latitude without much oversight. Managerial capacity generally refers to the ability of the employee to supervise and control the work of professional employees and to manage the organization, or a department, subdivision, function, or component of the organization. It may also refer to the employee’s ability to manage an essential function of the organization at a high level, without direct supervision of others.
The transferring employee may be accompanied or followed by his or her spouse and unmarried children who are under 21 years of age. Such family members may seek admission in L-2 nonimmigrant classification and, if approved, generally will be granted the same period of stay as the employee. Spouses of L-1 workers may apply for work authorization. If approved, there is no specific restriction as to where the L-2 spouse may work.
There is an additional classification under the L1 visa program. L-1B nonimmigrant classification enables a U.S. employer to transfer a professional employee with specialized knowledge relating to the organization’s interests from one of its affiliated foreign offices to one of its offices in the United States. This classification also enables a foreign company, which does not yet have an affiliated U.S. office to send a specialized knowledge employee to the United States to help establish one.
The visa requirements are very detailed and may be deemed overwhelming without the experience of a professional consultant. The Business Plan, along with thorough evidence, are the heart and soul of the visa petition and your chance of visa approval. At Exoodus, we can provide top of the line business plans to best aid you in meeting the daunting L-1 Visa requirements. Our experience and expertise in the field will surely put you on the path to success. Contact Us Today to get your immigration plan started.
© 2019 Exoodus.com All Rights Reserved
Created by gustavoas.com 2019
EXOODUS LEGAL DISCLAIMER